Skip to main content

Maximising the undervalued Ryde




I’ve been using private hires for the last 2 years to commute to work due to personal reasons and I really hate it when there are unexpected surges.

So I’ve been switching around Grab, CDG (Zig), Go Jek and Ryde and here are my thoughts on them.

Although I did try to use TADA, I didn’t really get any drivers and gave up. 
I've also heard of GeoLah but need help to comment on it. I did come across this review here

My view of Grab / CDG (Zig) / Go Jek

Apps

Things I like

Things I don’t like

Grab

Drivers are available and short waiting time. 
Very competitive base price.

The price surge is insane

CDG (Zig)

Drivers are readily available, I'm pretty much screwed when even CDG dies on me. 

I get Flash vouchers occasionally

Price surges are also top-notch,.
The taxi-meter option doesn’t help when there is a 10% admin charge on Credit Card Payments

Go Jek

Drivers are available too, but relatively lesser than Grab and CDG.

The base price can be lower than Grab. I get off-peak vouchers occasionally or clock trips with Trust’s Stamp Coupons to get $5 after 4/5 Rides

Wait times are relatively longer than the other 2.


I will normally try them when Ryde dies on me and if it’s really too expensive, street-hailing is my last resort. 

let's go on to Ryde.

Ryde App Features

some features are available in other apps too.

Features

Things I like

Things I don’t like

cheaper fare
Pay per seat (RydeFlash)

About 17% lower than prevailing fares for 1 seat

+ about $0.50 for 2nd seat,
up to 4 seats

When it’s too cheap, no drivers will pick me up.

Price surges

Seems to surge slower than other apps

surge way sharper than other apps.

Preplan rides

Pre-book your trips and lock in the fares so you won’t be affected by prevailing surges

Tip: set them up during off-peak hours.

If the driver is early we can leave 10 min ahead of schedule.

Surges at the time of booking are applied to the price.

At times the prevailing fare at the time is slightly lower than the booked price.

Drivers might mistakenly pick up the scheduled job for a Job now.

I will need to cancel the job and re-post it as drivers face cancellation penalties and can’t take new jobs in between either.

Not all drivers can stack their trips ahead. Hence, most bookings only get picked up closer to the actual time.

Review trips

I can mark drivers under my favourite list and block drivers that I don’t vibe with.

Mark drivers as favourites have no effects while drivers also have a disincentive to pick me again that week.
(driver campaign-related)

RydeCoins

cash-liked and can be used for other services like rydeSend.

The expiry date renews by 6 months after each transaction.

Irreversible

Ryde+

15% discount on trips with Card payment,
Cashbacks on Rydes that covers the Ryde+ membership fee.

excludes Rydeflash/RydePool, so I can’t stack the discounts.
Cashback campaigns are getting less attractive each month.

PS: Using RydePool is way cheaper and apparently you don’t have to share the ride with other passengers for now.

Maximising Ryde Value.


Stretch the dollar

Apart from Ryde+, Ryde has a shop on Shopee and Lazada.

By stacking shop vouchers, bundle discounts and platform vouchers. you should be able to get 25% – 30% discounts, or even more. After that, just top up your Ryde wallet

Example: 


For every 100 Shoppee coins = $1, that's an additional $8 discount. 
This means that you can get a total discount of $50 comprising of a $15 shop voucher, $27 from a bundle discount and $8 from shopee platform voucher.

So the voucher value of $180 is now reduced to $130 which brings about 27.78% of savings. 

**Fun Fact:  follow Ryde on IG. there’s a monthly giveaway of $3 each month.

 

Prebook RydeFlash

Pre-booking during the off-peak periods so that you only pay the base fare and not surge pricing.
Periodically “edit trip“ to refresh pricing, "re-post" if it’s cheaper and "cancel" if it’s not.

By using this strategy, I can normally get between 40-50% cheaper than the prevailing fares. Even if I'm caught off guard, the discounts from vouchers will make sure I'm not paying the top dollar at all times.

Also if you're new to Ryde, click the referral link here. 
Sign up on the weekends of March 23 and we both get rewarded with $10 of rydeCoins.

Please support me by following and liking my pages below:








Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Asset Protection

  [29 Jun : Update - I've reached out to the insure updated the responses below, marked in green]  I'm revisiting this as I was offered to buy Mortgage insurance package after buying my house. In my case, I already had an existing term policy bought in 2015 with asset protection in mind. However, this coverage isn’t enough to cover the full loan. For context, I asked for quotes on mortgage insurance to cover 1.25 mil till 65. The annual premium was $800 – $870. The current term I have covers 1 mil for about $1000. This is even after buying it 8 years ago. I wouldn’t discuss in detail the pros and cons of mortgage insurance vs term insurance or why mortgage insurance is essential as this has already been covered. Esssentially, I’m not going ahead with mortgage insurance as term insurance isn’t quantum-reducing. As I pay down the loan, this would provide a residual payout for my family. I feel the trade-off of $100-$200 is justified. If I can’t cover the shortfall, then t...

SG Property options today….

I’ve honestly started looking into this recently as inflation was rampant. Getting an asset was a plausible consideration. I looked around and there were really only 4 options: HDB Built to order (BTO) Resale HDB Resale Condo New launch Condo. I would love to try for BTOs but it’s not something I’m eligible for. Resale HDB Next, I looked at resale HDBs in my area. I’m living in a mature estate. Most of the amenities are developed and the Town Council are honestly just maintaining it. This meant that the HDBs have at most a remaining lease of 60 years old. Looking at the Bala curve, the property value is expected to steadily decline in property value at an increasing pace. I am not ready to buy such an asset. This also made me aware that regardless of which HDB I buy I will be stuck with an issue of lease decay. Source: Centre for Liveable Cities So existing resales are out of the question, what about HDBs that hav...

Freehold premium worth meh?

After buying my house, I started reading up on property information and how the market works. Some of the objections I heard from my friends are: These days no one cares about Freehold(FH) any more. There’s no need to care about lease decay, you won’t stay that long anyway. So it got me thinking, is that really the case?   Better Location If we look at HDBs, there is constant renewal by the GRCs to enhance their value, with better amenities, social support centres, connectivity and covered walkway. In terms of planning, it also makes sense to plan the train stations in a way that has the minimum impact on existing buildings. Next, creates land value through further development around the vicinity. That could mean that future development of the land parcels near the Station is likely going to be new HDBs or GLS > Condos In addition, selling the GLS at these locations would help attract developer interest and strengthen the reserves.  It is essentially a p...