Skip to main content

Optimising your savings Part 1


With the rising interest rates, I realized that topping up my CPF SA account might no longer be competitive. Mainly because savings accounts are giving about 4% with no lock-in period. Also, this applies to savings of up to 100k.

**This is not a sponsored post.**

So who gives the best interest rate?

My top pick would be UOB, even though some current promotions that UOB is offering might have expired. 

Basic requirements

  1. Spend $500 on eligible spend – usually credit/debit card expenditure on UOB ONE card
  2. Credit salary of a minimum $1,600

Monthly Average Balance

Total interest

S$30,000

3.85%

+S$30,000

3.90%

+S$15,000

4.85%

+S$25,000

7.80%

By doing the above, this translates into:

  • At 60K balance, the effective interest rate is 3.87%
  • At 75K balance, the effective interest rate is 4.07%
  • At 100K balance, the effective interest rate is 5.0025%

**The interest and spending criteria are computed on a calendar month basis. To help reconcile your credit card spending, you'll need to sync up your Credit Card billing cycle.

What I also really like about UOB’s App is that I can track my eligibility within the account details.

Gone are the days when I have to call in to ask if I’ve spent $500 of eligible spending and reconcile the transactions over the phone. 

What’s more, this doesn’t include the quarterly cash cashback of $50.
Well... the iffy part of this is... If you miss one month, you miss the entire quarter.

So to be safe open the UOB one Account and Credit Card at the start of the month, else disregard the 1st quarter’s cashback.

Bonus

Other promotions that might come your way if you sign up with UOB:

  • Sign-up bonus of $30 / $60– For the first 200 customers, and you need to make an initial deposit. The good thing is that it applies to existing UOB customers too but it must be “fresh funds”.

  • Salary Credit of $50 – register your interest and get rewarded, we need to do this to qualify anyway.

  • Savings promotion – register your interest and do the transfer within the same month. This might be seasonal, I heard they did one during Christmas and the CNY one is just over.

With all these incentives, the effective interest rate would be higher.

One caveat though, you can apply for the sign-up bonus and savings promotion bonus concurrently. However, the amount deposited cannot overlap.
i.e. if the sign-up bonus deposit is $5,000 and you have pledged $50,000 for savings promotion. You need to deposit $55,000 to qualify for both. I’ve clarified with UOB ðŸ˜Š

Unity is strength

So a few years ago, my mum wanted to renew her endowment plans which gave her about 1-2% for a lock-in of  1-2 years. I felt that was a very low bar and offered her alternatives.
Ever since then, I’ve been managing it for her.

With rising interest rates, it dawned on me that consolidating our savings is a win-win situation as we both get more interest.

The downside risk is:

     1)     UOB can change the rates anytime

2)     The additional 1% is only $1,000. 

What if I have more than 100K to deploy? See you in Part 2


Please support me by following and liking my pages below:








Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Asset Protection

  [29 Jun : Update - I've reached out to the insure updated the responses below, marked in green]  I'm revisiting this as I was offered to buy Mortgage insurance package after buying my house. In my case, I already had an existing term policy bought in 2015 with asset protection in mind. However, this coverage isn’t enough to cover the full loan. For context, I asked for quotes on mortgage insurance to cover 1.25 mil till 65. The annual premium was $800 – $870. The current term I have covers 1 mil for about $1000. This is even after buying it 8 years ago. I wouldn’t discuss in detail the pros and cons of mortgage insurance vs term insurance or why mortgage insurance is essential as this has already been covered. Esssentially, I’m not going ahead with mortgage insurance as term insurance isn’t quantum-reducing. As I pay down the loan, this would provide a residual payout for my family. I feel the trade-off of $100-$200 is justified. If I can’t cover the shortfall, then t...

SG Property options today….

I’ve honestly started looking into this recently as inflation was rampant. Getting an asset was a plausible consideration. I looked around and there were really only 4 options: HDB Built to order (BTO) Resale HDB Resale Condo New launch Condo. I would love to try for BTOs but it’s not something I’m eligible for. Resale HDB Next, I looked at resale HDBs in my area. I’m living in a mature estate. Most of the amenities are developed and the Town Council are honestly just maintaining it. This meant that the HDBs have at most a remaining lease of 60 years old. Looking at the Bala curve, the property value is expected to steadily decline in property value at an increasing pace. I am not ready to buy such an asset. This also made me aware that regardless of which HDB I buy I will be stuck with an issue of lease decay. Source: Centre for Liveable Cities So existing resales are out of the question, what about HDBs that hav...

Freehold premium worth meh?

After buying my house, I started reading up on property information and how the market works. Some of the objections I heard from my friends are: These days no one cares about Freehold(FH) any more. There’s no need to care about lease decay, you won’t stay that long anyway. So it got me thinking, is that really the case?   Better Location If we look at HDBs, there is constant renewal by the GRCs to enhance their value, with better amenities, social support centres, connectivity and covered walkway. In terms of planning, it also makes sense to plan the train stations in a way that has the minimum impact on existing buildings. Next, creates land value through further development around the vicinity. That could mean that future development of the land parcels near the Station is likely going to be new HDBs or GLS > Condos In addition, selling the GLS at these locations would help attract developer interest and strengthen the reserves.  It is essentially a p...