Skip to main content

Freehold premium worth meh?



After buying my house, I started reading up on property information and how the market works.

Some of the objections I heard from my friends are:

  • These days no one cares about Freehold(FH) any more.
  • There’s no need to care about lease decay, you won’t stay that long anyway.

So it got me thinking, is that really the case?

 

Better Location

If we look at HDBs, there is constant renewal by the GRCs to enhance their value, with better amenities, social support centres, connectivity and covered walkway.

In terms of planning, it also makes sense to plan the train stations in a way that has the minimum impact on existing buildings. Next, creates land value through further development around the vicinity.

That could mean that future development of the land parcels near the Station is likely going to be new HDBs or GLS > Condos

In addition, selling the GLS at these locations would help attract developer interest and strengthen the reserves. It is essentially a partnership between the authorities and developers to make this a success.

This is why you normally see more GLS sites having relative connectivity for new train stations, interchanges, community centre, hospital etc. 

Other opportunities could be putting the Leasehold (LH) beside HDB estates so that they can easily access the amenities / commence that are supported by the HDB.

While FH locations are scarce, they were land that had sold and can no longer monetize.

There’s also not much legroom/incentive to put improvements directly beside the FH.

This endows the new LH developments with a new advantage that closes the premium gap.

 

Valuation Opacity.

Most FH developments are small and buyers also want to keep their units for legacy.

Hence, the lack of transactions makes it difficult for the valuer to give a proper estimate as the valuer can’t deviate far from the last transaction even if it was 3 years ago.

This makes the valuation lower than a LH with a healthier transaction history.

As the valuation is impacted, the loan size is reduced and the buyer has to fork out a higher amount of cash to offset the lower loan.

This means that FH units are generally trying to catch up with the surrounding LH’s growth valuation and are very unlikely to outpace LH.

I’m not sure if large FH developments like Continuum will suffer such a fate but I sincerely hope not.

 

Lease Decay

Looking at the Bala curve, the LH value doesn’t decline in a straight-line depreciation.

Source: Centre for Liveable Cities

This essentially means that there are certain premiums that are retained during the unit’s lifecycle as it is sticky. The value will only steadily decline at the very end of that remaining lease.

This is also normally when banks will no longer allow buyers to take a loan for the LH’s purchase.

This makes sense as the LH tends to have better attributes compared to a typical FH.

So essentially when people say FH will outperform LH in the long term.

I don’t think it’s because FH price appreciated further, instead it is because LH price has started to suffer from lease decay.

That very “long term” that people are referring to will only be reflected gradually and is more evident at very late stages of the remaining lease. It will definitely not be within our lifetime.


Summary

In summary, better planning allows LH units to sell at a closer premium to FH units. The healthy stream of transactions for LH units allows better valuation transparency and loan approvals as opposed to small FH developments

Owning a FH that holds value better than LH units, but it's effects are gradual and will only be evident at the very late stage of the lease.

 

Please like and follow us:

 

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Asset Protection

  [29 Jun : Update - I've reached out to the insure updated the responses below, marked in green]  I'm revisiting this as I was offered to buy Mortgage insurance package after buying my house. In my case, I already had an existing term policy bought in 2015 with asset protection in mind. However, this coverage isn’t enough to cover the full loan. For context, I asked for quotes on mortgage insurance to cover 1.25 mil till 65. The annual premium was $800 – $870. The current term I have covers 1 mil for about $1000. This is even after buying it 8 years ago. I wouldn’t discuss in detail the pros and cons of mortgage insurance vs term insurance or why mortgage insurance is essential as this has already been covered. Esssentially, I’m not going ahead with mortgage insurance as term insurance isn’t quantum-reducing. As I pay down the loan, this would provide a residual payout for my family. I feel the trade-off of $100-$200 is justified. If I can’t cover the shortfall, then t...

SG Property options today….

I’ve honestly started looking into this recently as inflation was rampant. Getting an asset was a plausible consideration. I looked around and there were really only 4 options: HDB Built to order (BTO) Resale HDB Resale Condo New launch Condo. I would love to try for BTOs but it’s not something I’m eligible for. Resale HDB Next, I looked at resale HDBs in my area. I’m living in a mature estate. Most of the amenities are developed and the Town Council are honestly just maintaining it. This meant that the HDBs have at most a remaining lease of 60 years old. Looking at the Bala curve, the property value is expected to steadily decline in property value at an increasing pace. I am not ready to buy such an asset. This also made me aware that regardless of which HDB I buy I will be stuck with an issue of lease decay. Source: Centre for Liveable Cities So existing resales are out of the question, what about HDBs that hav...